Thursday, April 12, 2007




LA CHOUCROUTE


“La choucroute” is very famous in France and especially in the North France, nearby
Germany. Actually, the word “choucroute” comes from the German language, sürkrüt ( I
don’t know how to pronounce !!), which means the acid cabbage . The cabbage is grated
and mixed with small pieces of meat, including sausages, ham, and also some vegetables like potatoes. In fact, this meal looks like a big stack of white cabbage with a mountain of meat pieces with a particular smell..
Usually, people use to eat that, during the very cold days in France and especially in the
north, like I “Strasbourg” , a very cold city in order to get warm and defeat the cold temperature... There are not some special days to eat a plate of choucroute, but for the meat fanatics, taste it, and you will love it !!

5 comments:

alice said...

Coooooool~~~ hungry~~~ nice explanation!

YANG said...

I feel hungry now...Can I eat?

Jennifer said...

Looks delicious. I want to try it if I have chance.

mistone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mistone said...

Hi,Jeremie. I have never tasted this dish, but choucroute reminds me of "Zazie dans le metro" (my favorite novel!). At the last part of this chaotic novel, tourists in the restaurant and the chef throw the plates of choucroute against each other...